Dog Bite Attorneys
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 885,000 people are bitten by dogs each year, and one out of every five of those require medical attention. Liability for these injuries a subsequent damages that occur after a severe animal attack falls on the pet owner. Owners are also liable for compensating victims if the dog had been considered dangerous in the past. If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a dog bite or attack, you could receive compensation for all that you have endured.
STEPS TO TAKE IF YOU’VE BEEN BITTEN BY A DOG
The first steps to take after a dog bite are
- Get the dog owner’s contact information
- Make sure the dog is up to date on all of their shots
- Try to determine if there is any possibility that the dog has rabies
- Seek medical treatment
- Report the dog bite to both the police and your local animal control agency
A dog bite can be broken down into two categories, severe and non-severe, which determine what type of compensation can be recovered by victims.
- Severe Injury: These types of injuries result in disfigurement or broken bones. Recovery for these injuries is lengthy as they can require surgery, multiple sutures or months of physical therapy. Victims of severe injuries can receive compensation for their medical bills and other damages such as emotional trauma, lost wages, etc.
- With a non-severe injury the victim can still file a lawsuit against the animal’s owner but can only seek compensation for medical expenses.
PENNSYLVANIA DOG BITE LAWS
Pennsylvania follows strict liability when it comes to dog ownership. This means that dog owners in PA are liable for any and every injury that their dog inflicts on someone else. Exceptions to this law are only made if someone is trespassing and bitten as a result or if someone intentionally provokes a dog, causing it to become aggressive.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR DANGEROUS DOG OWNERS IN PA
If the dog has had previous aggressive encounters with humans then it has likely been labeled as “dangerous,” based on the following criteria.
A dog is considered dangerous if it has done one or more of the following:
- It has inflicted injury without provocation
- It has harmed or killed another animal without cause
- It has charged or attempted or successfully attacked a person with being provoked
- It has been used to aide in a crime.
If a dog has been labeled as dangerous, there are several stipulations the owner must meet to keep the dog. They must:
- Register the dog as dangerous
- Maintain liability insurance for at least $50,000 that insures the owner for any injuries the dog may inflict to another person or animal
- Obtain fencing or a suitable enclosure for the dog
- Label their property as housing a dangerous animal and display a sign that informs children that a dangerous dog lives there
- Muzzle the dog and restrain it on a leash at all times when off the owner’s property
- Notify the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, the State Dog Warden, and local police departments if the dog is gotten loose, is unconfined, has attacked an animal or another person, has been sold, or has died.
WHY DOGS BITE
Dogs may bite for a variety of reasons. Any dog can become agitated and aggressive and no matter their gender or size, no breed is exempt from this risk.
A dog may bite if it:
- Is defending their territory, their belongings, or their food
- Is stressed
- Has been scared or startled
- Feels threatened
- Is sick or sore due to an injury or surgery
- Is playing, but doesn’t know their own strength and bites too hard
CALL THE PISANCHYN LAW FIRM’S DOG BITE LAWYERS
We have prosecuted numerous cases of this nature and can honestly pledge to you, without any equivocation, that should we accept your case, we will make completely sure that you get the justice you deserve.
For these reasons, when you retain the attorneys at the Pisanchyn Law Firm you know that you have a first-rate PA Dog Bite Law Firm that will fiercely pursue your rights and the money you deserve. As we have pledged, you will never pay a fee until we win your case.
Call our PA dog attack lawyers toll free at 1-800-444-5309 for your free consultation. We have locations in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Scranton and will travel to you.
Get Free Advice Now!
Related Practice Areas
Once you have injured yourself in a slip, trip, and/or fall accident you should not speak to any insurance adjusters. Remember, it is their job to pay you the least amount of money they can to settle your case. You should immediately contact the Slip, Trip, or Fall injury Attorney’s at The Pisanchyn Law Firm so we can ensure that you and your interests are served.
Owners are also liable for compensating victims if the Animal had been considered dangerous in the past. If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a Animal bite or attack, you could receive compensation for all that you have endured.
If you or a loved one have been injured by a property owner’s negligence, we can help you pursue justice and compensation for your injuries, please call 1-800-444-5309 today for a free consultation. We have offices in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Scranton and Harrisburg and will travel to you.
If you or a loved one have suffered or are suffering with a life-altering injury and/or disability as a result of someone’s negligence you could receive compensation for all that you have endured. Our electrical burn injury attorneys at The Pisanchyn Law Firm want to help you gain some peace of mind after this devastating event.
The amusement park attorneys at the Pisanchyn Law Firm can get you the compensation you deserve after negligent acts at amusement parks or carnivals caused your injury. Call 1-800-444-5309 for a free consultation. We have offices in Scranton, Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and will travel to you.
If you or a loved one has passed or suffered serious injury as result of a drowning/swimming injury you should contact The Pisanchyn Law Firm’s drowning accident lawyers today.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma you should immediately contact our asbestos mesothelioma exposure attorneys at The Pisanchyn Law Firm so we can ensure that you and your interests are served. We can honestly pledge to you, without any equivocation, that should we accept your case, we will make completely sure that you get the justice you deserve.